Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Recap for Today & Response 8

* NO CLASS TOMORROW *
Unless you want to watch Troy with Carlos...

1. I promise I will post notes from today, since I realize that a lot of what I said was maybe too much to remember without an outline. It may take a little while, but I'll try to post it by tomorrow.

2. Monday will include your participation assignment that we didn't get to... fictional odysseys... and an introduction to Ancient Greek Creation Myths, beginning with the Theogony.

3. Please read Hesiod's Theogony (handout from class) for Monday. I also gave you family trees of the gods to help you make sense of the Theogony.

Response 8
(Due by Monday in class)

You have 2 options:
1. Draw/Paint/Sculpt/Collage/Digital Media/Photograph of your favorite scene from the Odyssey. This MUST be created by YOU. I'm not judging creative ability, so don't be embarrassed. Have fun with it, but do make an effort :)

2. Answer the following questions:
A. Long Answer: Is Odysseus a Hero? Justify your answer with specific examples.

B. What purpose do you see in all of the omens throughout Books 17-24? If you recall, most of the omens I've mentioned have come up only in the last few days... There are TONS of them, so I don't expect you to list all of them, but pick 3-4 and think about why the poet, Homer, would insert so many of them in Books 17-24.

C. Who kills Ktesippos? Why?

D. Who is the male servant who is NOT faithful to Odysseus? What happens to him as punishment?

No comments:

Post a Comment